I'm Stephanie and i love films, here i will post spoiler-free reviews!

Monday 3 March 2014

The 86th Academy Awards


Well, there we have it folks; Award's season is officially over for yet another year.

With the help of energy drink, snacks, and friends I managed to stay up until 5am to watch the live show unfold, and wow was it a good one!

Here are some of my thoughts on the night...

First of all, obviously, dresses. Everybody went crazy for Lupita Nyong'o's dress and rightly so - it was gorgeous. But I think that there were quite a few beautiful dresses that trumped her, such as Jennifer Garner and Angelina Jolie's:


Angelina Jolie

But my Oscar for best dress of the night goes to... Cate Blanchett, look at it! It's beautiful:

Cate Blanchett
I really didn't want to do a 'worst dress' because it just seems so mean... However, upon seeing Elsa Pataky's dress I couldn't sit back and not say anything. She looks beautiful and radiant but that dress is unforgivable. On the other hand, Chris Hemsworth is rocking the purple and without a doubt gets the Best Dressed Male Oscar from me.

Elsa Pataky and Chris Hemsworth 
Alongside Pataky, Kerry Washington and Olivia Wilde also had their bumps to think about at last night's ceremony, and my Oscar for Best Dressed Bump goes to Olivia Wilde, who kept it chic and simple as she somehow managed to trump her incredible emerald gown from the Golden Globes earlier this year.

Olivia Wilde at the Oscars
Wilde also won battle of the bumps at the Golden Globes
 Now onto the Awards.

Overall I managed to guess 17 out of 24 categories correctly. Four of the ones I got wrong were the ones where I hadn't seen a single nominee (Animation short, live action short, documentary, foreign film) and just randomly guessed by the sound of their names, so really we can say that I got 17 out of 20... Right? Also, I don't have a clue why I put Captain Phillips down for Best Film Editing because I didn't think for a second it would win a single award, I think I confused it with my 'Who I Want to Win' ballot...


Overall I am happy with the results, my absolute highlight of the night was Jared Leto winning Best Supporting Actor. Although I do love Barkhad Abdi and thought his performance was outstanding, Leto was in an entirely different league to his fellow nominees and it was his triumph that really made my night.

I did want Martin Scorsese to win Best Director and The Wolf of Wall Street to win Best Picture (I didn't think either of these would actually happen). I am also still dreaming of the day that Leonardo DiCaprio will win his well-deserved Oscar, but I did know that he wouldn't be getting this year... To be honest, I have kind of given up hope of him ever winning it, so that didn't really surprise me. The best thing about last night's ceremony was that American Hustle didn't win anything and considering it is one of the worst films I saw this year and it really shouldn't have even been nominated, that is more than enough for me.

Speech wise, I think Jared Leto and Lupita Nyong'o win that one. Jared emotionally recounted the story of his mother's plight in raising himself and his older brother, Shannon, on her own and as a teenager whilst his proud mother looked on and then Lupita moved Benedict Cumberbatch to tears as she thanked her character's real life counterpart Patsey. Other notable mentions go to Frozen's frankly bizarre thank you for best picture, 20 Feet From Stardom's Darlene Love bursting into song and Matthew McConaughey's confusing tale that I am sure made sense to him... Oh, and how Cate Blanchett didn't get played off while accepting her Best Actress award is beyond me, I'm sure that was the longest speech of the night!

However, the real talking point of the night didn't come from the speeches, the performances, or even the winners. No, the real star of the show was pizza.



Who knew that watching Brad Pitt dish out paper plates whilst stars such as Julia Roberts, Kevin Spacey and Meryl Streep tucked in to some greasy fast food would be so entertaining?  Perhaps it's just because it serves as a gentle reminder that they may be at the glitziest event of the year but actually, they're all kind of normal really.
Kevin Spacey tucks in
Julia Roberts and Meryl Streep get a slice

Brad Pitt gets a taste after helping serve the other guests
Finally, a new record was broken last night as host Ellen took one of the most star-studded selfies ever in a bid to get the most Twitter retweets, which she succeeded in doing before the show was even over and it is now hovering around the 2.5million mark. Bradley Cooper, Angelina Jolie, Julia Roberts, and Meryl Streep are among the famous faces in the picture, but a special shout out to Lupita Nyong'o's brother, who managed to sneak his way in and get himself a new Facebook profile picture for life!

Jared Leto, Jennifer Lawrence, Channing Tatum, Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts, Ellen Degeneres, Kevin Spacey, Bradley Cooper, Brad Pit, Lupita Nyong'o, Angelina Jolie, and... Lupita's brother.

All in all, it was a fantastic show and I am already super excited for next year's event! 

What the next 12 months hold for the world of film is to be anticipated, and I can only wonder which ones we will be championing for a prestigious Oscar this time next year. One thing is for sure though, I can't wait to find out!!!

Love,

Just me and some pals hanging out at the Oscars....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? Leave your comments below!